Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Getting our hands on the curved phones soon ? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Getting our hands on the curved phones soon ?
LG and Samsung the two manufacturers of the curved devices could be heading to networks worldwide very soon as LG announce the G Flex will be coming to major US carriers.
Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 (1 votes) 
January 7, 2014
11:44 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Those in mobile tech will be aware of the LG G FLex, the second curved phone to be released after samsung released the awkwardly shaped Galaxy Round, initially the G Flex was only for the South Korean market and was costing around $1000 USD to import the device however as they announced at CES last night the device is now coming to near all major US carriers which hopefully means that LG in part thanks to the awesome feedback they have been getting about the device have opted to relent and push the device out to a wider market – which again hopefully expands outside the US also!

Aside from it’s odd shape the G Flex has another unique trick, self healing back from minor scratches but the fact you can sit on this phone and it’ll bend right into shape is just an amazing technical feat in it’s own right but what many people dont realise is that when you take a 5-6 inch display and curve it inwards on it’s vertical points you in many respects make the actual screen ‘feel’ smaller than it actually i.e you dont feel like your holding a massive 6 inch phone due to that curve..

As is the case as soon as the G flex was announced to be hitting a US release all eyes went onto Samsung not only to query if the Galaxy Round would make a play for US/worldwide release but also if they had any plans to drop that awkward curve (horizontal) and adopt the more sense making vertical curve.

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

January 7, 2014
8:22 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 421

would you prefer this over iphone 5 or even samsung s4?

January 7, 2014
11:44 pm
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

The Galaxy Round, no I dont like it’s form factor I find the curve to be awkward however on paper aside from the curve and a few additional features the Galaxy Round in many respects is the Galaxy s4 but you cant help escape the feeling that the round belongs in the experimental category of devices samsung put out on a regular basis much like the Galaxy Gear. The LG G Flex on the other hand is a whole other ball game LG has improved the software over the annoyances that can be found on the LG G2 while retaining a heavy customisation logic and introduction of items that simply put the LG G2 should have had like multi tasking which is very similar to the one found on the Note 2/3 from Samsung (apparently licensed from the same company hence similar feel) on paper the LG G Flex is phablet so you wouldnt put it up against the S4 or the iPhone you would put it up against the Note 3 and other likewise devices furthermore this is still a big phone and while the curve does distract from that monstrous 6 inch display it still is a huge huge device so it’s not for everyone. Under the hood it’s a monster 

• Android 4.2.2
  • Snapdragon 800 @ 2.26 GHz quad-core Krait 400
  • Adreno 330
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 32 GB flash memory
  • 3,500 mAh battery
  • 6″ display (245 ppi) (720×1280)
  • 13 mega pixel camera shooter on the back 2.1 on the front, rear supports 4k video but no OIS :( fail
  • sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Gesture sensor, Gyroscope, Hall effect sensor, Hygrometer, Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, RGB light sensor, Thermometer

If your going to buy a device in the smaller form factor the LG G Flex is of no interest to you, if you prefer that bigger form factor with all the bells and whistles and you like the idea of that flexible screen .. LG G Flex is for you, if you don’t like the curve then I would look at the LG G Flex but keep in mind LG’s bad record for software updates i.e unlikely to see kitkat in the first part of the year.

January 16, 2014
1:40 am
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

The Galaxy Round, no I dont like it’s form factor I find the curve to be awkward however on paper aside from the curve and a few additional features the Galaxy Round in many respects is the Galaxy s4 but you cant help escape the feeling that the round belongs in the experimental category of devices samsung put out on a regular basis much like the Galaxy Gear. The LG G Flex on the other hand is a whole other ball game LG has improved the software over the annoyances that can be found on the LG G2 while retaining a heavy customisation logic and introduction of items that simply put the LG G2 should have had like multi tasking which is very similar to the one found on the Note 2/3 from Samsung (apparently licensed from the same company hence similar feel) on paper the LG G Flex is phablet so you wouldnt put it up against the S4 or the iPhone you would put it up against the Note 3 and other likewise devices furthermore this is still a big phone and while the curve does distract from that monstrous 6 inch display it still is a huge huge device so it’s not for everyone. Under the hood it’s a monster 

• Android 4.2.2
  • Snapdragon 800 @ 2.26 GHz quad-core Krait 400
  • Adreno 330
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 32 GB flash memory
  • 3,500 mAh battery
  • 6″ display (245 ppi) (720×1280)
  • 13 mega pixel camera shooter on the back 2.1 on the front, rear supports 4k video but no OIS :( fail
  • sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Gesture sensor, Gyroscope, Hall effect sensor, Hygrometer, Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, RGB light sensor, Thermometer

If your going to buy a device in the smaller form factor the LG G Flex is of no interest to you, if you prefer that bigger form factor with all the bells and whistles and you like the idea of that flexible screen .. LG G Flex is for you, if you don’t like the curve then I would look at the LG G Flex but keep in mind LG’s bad record for software updates i.e unlikely to see kitkat in the first part of the year.

wow! very well explain.  on a not-so-fussy not-so-specs-concerned info – do you like the looks and style of it being round and curve?  i mean is this something the buyers will get excited asap or will it take time for them to appreciate it?  thanks!

March 26, 2014
10:15 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

what’s the update on curve phone? released already? was it successful? how did the market reacted to the innovative unit?

March 27, 2014
12:05 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

Released worldwide picked up by several US networks, depends how you measure success, did it sell – yes, was it great no but it’s the first of it’s kind. The market reacted optimistically – of all of this you could have Googled….

March 27, 2014
3:24 am
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

given the rave and rants mixed reviews online, would you personally consider buying this unit model?

March 27, 2014
6:34 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

I wouldn’t consider the reviews mixed, most that do review the phone know that the technology behind it that being p-oled is somewhat new so there will be quirks such as screen burn in but in terms of if i would buy it ? If I had money to burn, sure it’s a novelty piece that most tech related people would love to have however if it came down to I had to buy A phone and my options are open but one phone.. no wouldnt even consider it.

April 4, 2014
12:04 pm
Jackson
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 277

I thinks it perfect with ss s4

April 20, 2014
6:37 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I`m looking for LG Flex to arrive in my country. I presume it will cost a fortune, but I will be satisfied for the moment to test it in a shop and see how it feelsSmile

For the moment, it`s rumored Orange will play all cards on it

April 20, 2014
1:47 pm
MagStar
Pittsburgh
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 53
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

I really need to spend more time on this forum. Totally didn’t even know about curved phones. I’m an LG fangirl and the idea of a self-healing back couldn’t appeal to me more. I know loads of people stuff their phones into their pockets, but I tend to keep a ton of stuff in said pockets and I refuse to get a rubberized phone ‘cosy’ – they take up too much space and then I wouldn’t be able to stuff as much junk in with my phone! ;) Now if they can only come up with flexible/curved phones with self-healing fronts. I should buy stock in those protective films companies, I go through ’em like nobody’s business!

April 20, 2014
3:22 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t really understand the purpose of a curved phone, how does it improve the user experience? Surely its a little bit weird to carry round a curved phone too? I know its only a small curve, but surely it wont sit flat on a table?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019