Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Should IPhones no longer use a physical home button? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Should IPhones no longer use a physical home button?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
November 14, 2014
8:21 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I’ve noticed that the Home Button has a tendency to wear out with use. Mine doesn’t function quite as well as it used to, and I’ve heard from friends that they’ve had similar issues with IPhones in the past. Personally I think they should just use a touch screen home button and do away with the hardware one. What do you think?

November 16, 2014
12:07 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

This malfunction appeared too on some Android smartphones, the fact is that the more the Home Button shrinks, the more difficult is to use it mostly if you have long nails or more robust fingers

From my point of view, it should be big enough to be handled by all type of consumers, something similar to the Home Button on Xperia series

November 18, 2014
10:16 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

Cellnut said
I’ve noticed that the Home Button has a tendency to wear out with use. Mine doesn’t function quite as well as it used to, and I’ve heard from friends that they’ve had similar issues with IPhones in the past. Personally I think they should just use a touch screen home button and do away with the hardware one. What do you think?

I think a number of physical buttons are required though, for example with Android to conduct a factory reset, I think software buttons can be less reliable than a standard button. But at the same time I can understand that a physical button is likely to wear and tear. Perhaps there should be physical buttons remaining on devices accessible via pin holes for resetting still? 

November 24, 2014
4:26 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Ste Crook said

Cellnut said

I think a number of physical buttons are required though, for example with Android to conduct a factory reset, I think software buttons can be less reliable than a standard button. But at the same time I can understand that a physical button is likely to wear and tear. Perhaps there should be physical buttons remaining on devices accessible via pin holes for resetting still? 

That would be a good solution, not only for temporal compromise, but for production on long term

Probably they aren`t very aesthetic or their implemention cost more than what the common pattern

December 3, 2014
4:10 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192

I agree with a pin based reset, though to be honest. If you’re doing a hard reset or factory testing, does it really have to be done using the most used button that the IPhone has?

December 4, 2014
2:11 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

I agree with a pin based reset, though to be honest. If you’re doing a hard reset or factory testing, does it really have to be done using the most used button that the IPhone has?

Ironically, everything gravitates around that old buttonWink

February 16, 2015
8:47 am
jangwl
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 121

The home button should be remove and replace with a sensor type just like on the ANdroid type smart phone.

Best Regards

Richard

http://www.richardjang.com

March 4, 2015
5:37 pm
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166

I have Samsung and home button works better than the sensor buttons, it never failed to do its job, miss a click or double it.

March 11, 2015
7:30 am
jangwl
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 121

I totally agree. The iPhone home button easily tap dust inside. Furthermore if you frequently use it, it will most likely be damage in 2 years time. But difficult to ask Apple to copy Samsung.

Best Regards

Richard

http://www.richardjang.com

March 28, 2015
12:04 pm
Vincom
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 50
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

jangwl said
I totally agree. The iPhone home button easily tap dust inside. Furthermore if you frequently use it, it will most likely be damage in 2 years time. But difficult to ask Apple to copy Samsung.

What do you require from a 2 years-used phone ? Still like full box ?

But with the iphone 6, i can realize that the home button still not change even 1% for 1 year :)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019