Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Cases & Skins | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Cases & Skins
Recommendations for cell phone cases, covers and skins?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
November 19, 2013
5:31 pm
MagStar
Pittsburgh
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 53
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey folks! I’ve been doing a little research into getting a case for my LG phone. I have to admit that I usually just stuff my phone into my pocket no matter what else might already be in there! My screen’s been saved a few times by the film protector, but I’d like something to protect the phone better overall. 

I understand that different cell brands have different styles and price points, but I was wondering what materials you use and prefer. Should I be looking at silicon, rubber, harder plastics etc.SmileSmile? And I know a lot of you guys on the forum are guys, but if your cover/case has any decoration on it, like a clip or fob, does it cause more trouble than it’s worth? I think I’m mostly interested in skins – they have some really cool ones for iPhones (but I don’t have an iPhone!) –  and I might also get a full case. Any recommendations are appreciated!

January 27, 2014
2:48 am
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 421

i honestly don’t have anything.  both my personal and business phones are bare. lol.

January 31, 2014
12:34 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

MagStar said
Hey folks! I’ve been doing a little research into getting a case for my LG phone. I have to admit that I usually just stuff my phone into my pocket no matter what else might already be in there! My screen’s been saved a few times by the film protector, but I’d like something to protect the phone better overall. 

I understand that different cell brands have different styles and price points, but I was wondering what materials you use and prefer. Should I be looking at silicon, rubber, harder plastics etc.SmileSmile? And I know a lot of you guys on the forum are guys, but if your cover/case has any decoration on it, like a clip or fob, does it cause more trouble than it’s worth? I think I’m mostly interested in skins – they have some really cool ones for iPhones (but I don’t have an iPhone!) –  and I might also get a full case. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Haven`t you come across something made of leather? It`s more resistant than siliconWink

February 23, 2014
5:34 pm
Lunar
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 20

I never used to buy phone cases until I found it better to purchase one BEFORE I ended up scratching the hell out of my phones screen. I now have a leather one which I picked up on eBay for about £5, which is around $8.

I never bother with the screen protectors though, I just get a flip case so it protects the whole phone, it looks a little 80’s when you have to flip out the case to open it up, but it keeps it well protected. I would definitely reecommend jumping on eBay though to purchase a leather one.

I don’t buy cases based on design, just efficiency.

February 24, 2014
2:55 am
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

think i need to buy a protector or a case for my phone for the purpose of cleaning. removing thumbprints and oil/ dirt that is visibly turn me off as it is looking so untidy. not so professional if you go meeting and your phone looks nasty. lol…

February 25, 2014
1:45 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398

I will never ever put my device in a case, I buy a phone for it’s design aspects as much as it’s internals so covering it up with some case just doesnt make sense. Screen protectors serve a purpose but I like to think I do a good job of taking care of my device additionally the coating should prevent the ickyness most cheap devices get so keeping a good glass rag in your pocket and a quick wipe often fixes any junk on the screen but i will admit I’m dead against either on my own devices.

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

February 26, 2014
10:05 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

checking my office phone box i realize it comes with a leather fitted case. to use it or not?

March 15, 2014
4:21 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member

depends how much crap you keep in your purse and/or pockets.

March 19, 2014
10:54 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

used the free leather case of my office phone and seems good. my screen is less oily now and it gives protention to other stuff on my purse such as coins, lipstick, etc.

my personal phone is still bare though. hehe…

March 29, 2014
1:43 pm
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Coins and keys should not effect the screen in anyway shape or form anyway, glass has a higher density rating than steel. The only real thing you would find in most peoples pockets that could scratch things up would be sand.

May 7, 2014
8:41 am
Extace
the Netherlands
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 30
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

It depends on how you use your phone. I am the most clumsy person there is. My phone falls with an average of 25 times a month, so a good case is very important for me.

The first case I got was a very good one. The price was about €40 and it was entirely made of sillicon with a hard case cover on top (it had two parts). The shop employee showed me it really worked by throwing his phone across the store, and it had absolutely no damage.

I do not remember the brand but what I do remember is that the silicon case was quite high near the screen, so if you’d drop it, it’d land on the case and not directly on the screen. This might also be a good thing to take into consideration when buying a case.

For my S4 I got a new case made of hard plastic and it had a leather cover, a bit like a wallet. It has places for two passes and some notes or paper money. It has a magnet to keep it closed. This case also protects my phone very well but it IS leather and it does need to be properly taken care of. I can’t just do whatever I want with it because the leather can damage. This doesn’t keep me from dropping my phone that much, though, but if this case ever breaks I’ll sure go back to the silicon casing.

The only downside of cases is that your phone cannot always lose its heath. If you live in a very warm country, it might be better to look for cases that allow your phone to cool down.

May 13, 2014
12:42 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Krisstoffer said
Coins and keys should not effect the screen in anyway shape or form anyway, glass has a higher density rating than steel. The only real thing you would find in most peoples pockets that could scratch things up would be sand.

Oh, I have to disagree with this. Coins might not affect the screen, but surely keys would do so? Or the edge of a money clip or a keychain if it were made out of metal.

May 18, 2014
8:20 am
Extace
the Netherlands
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 30
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

thethunderchild said

Krisstoffer said

Oh, I have to disagree with this. Coins might not affect the screen, but surely keys would do so? Or the edge of a money clip or a keychain if it were made out of metal.

I think it depends on the kind of phone you have. My friend has a Sony Xperia which can handle coins and keys. My phone (Galaxy S4) can NOT handle any scratch. I must use a screen protector all the time!

June 6, 2014
6:43 am
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 66
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

I normally don’t like the thick bulky ones. However, that is exactly the kind I am using right now. I drop my phone too often and this thick protective case has done the job and kept my phone from breaking.

June 9, 2014
6:39 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

GeronimoJoe said
I normally don’t like the thick bulky ones. However, that is exactly the kind I am using right now. I drop my phone too often and this thick protective case has done the job and kept my phone from breaking.

Is it thick or rugged? I presume rugged cases will totaly protect any gadget, but still I think they aren`t very comfortable to be used

July 5, 2014
10:51 pm
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

What do you mean by rugged exactly?

July 5, 2014
10:52 pm
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess you could say rugged and thick.

July 20, 2014
10:59 am
Aditya1809
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 42
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

A pone case adds the look to your phone. They not only protect you phone but also provide additional look to them. You can also customize your cases on different websites with your own picture and images that you like. 

August 3, 2014
12:46 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aditya1809 said
A pone case adds the look to your phone. They not only protect you phone but also provide additional look to them. You can also customize your cases on different websites with your own picture and images that you like. 

True, but a glamorous case, that doesn`t protect your smartphone is useless

For example, my girlfriend bought a glittering blue case from eBay, the name of the brand sounded as something Chinese in my humble opinion, next week when she dropped the smartphone on stairs, all crytals were spread and the case cracked

A non-fashionable case, yet resistant is a more reliable option, I presumeSmile

August 4, 2014
1:47 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest, I don’t have  a case or cover on my phone either at the moment!

I personally prefer leather cases, I think they look stylish, and they’ve usually got slots for you to put your cards and some cash in too, which is convenient.

They also cover the phone from all sides, so it gives it that extra protection.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters: