Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

smartphones manufactured by telecom providers | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
smartphones manufactured by telecom providers
do you buy this type of smartphones?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
October 31, 2014
2:40 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I guess all providers in Europe manufacturer cheap smartphones under their labels, mostly named Orange, Vodafone or Cosmote

I was quite skeptical about the idea, but I bought anyhow for my father a very affordable smartphone designed by Orange (Rono model), to be used at countryside for minimal browsing and making calls. My father is so delighted by it, that he started to take pictures with its 8MP camera and post them on emails, so I can see what I missWink

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

Talla
November 5, 2014
10:40 am
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

Here in the UK we don’t really see providers making their own handsets. Also I think its EU law that the handsets network’s sell can’t be locked to a certain provider either, so it makes it pointless anyway, I think people would rather pick a brand they like.

November 8, 2014
3:04 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Ste Crook said
Here in the UK we don’t really see providers making their own handsets. Also I think its EU law that the handsets network’s sell can’t be locked to a certain provider either, so it makes it pointless anyway, I think people would rather pick a brand they like.

Officially, EU law mentions this detail, but providers keep selling locked units, probably the fine is cheaper comparing with the profit created

I would recommend people who haven`t used a smartphone before, such as my father, to start with this simple models

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

Talla
November 8, 2014
6:48 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

Costin said

Ste Crook said

Officially, EU law mentions this detail, but providers keep selling locked units, probably the fine is cheaper comparing with the profit created

I would recommend people who haven`t used a smartphone before, such as my father, to start with this simple models

I’m not too sure I would specifically agree with suggesting the “simple models” to parents. My Galaxy Note has an “easy mode” and its more of a high end device, but I feel he would be better with my phone set to easy mode than my old Galaxy Nexus than he currently has, and a large part of that would be the difference in screen size, he would find it much easier to see. I suppose we have discovered a sort of uncovered section of the market, phones for the older generation that are simple to use but also have the buttons big enough without having to download 3rd party apps.

November 24, 2014
3:15 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Ste Crook said

Costin said

Ste Crook said

I’m not too sure I would specifically agree with suggesting the “simple models” to parents. My Galaxy Note has an “easy mode” and its more of a high end device, but I feel he would be better with my phone set to easy mode than my old Galaxy Nexus than he currently has, and a large part of that would be the difference in screen size, he would find it much easier to see. I suppose we have discovered a sort of uncovered section of the market, phones for the older generation that are simple to use but also have the buttons big enough without having to download 3rd party apps.

That section of the market for the seniors is a flourishing one, in my countries you at least one person over 60 years old has a big smartphone particularly dedicated to them or their children donated their former smartphone

It`s like a new toy to be discovered. Some of them look at the gadget so curious when it rings, probably searching for the old buttons, but it`s a matter of time to get used to the new vogueWink

November 25, 2014
9:33 pm
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166

Lately I wanted to buy a smartphone for my mom, and I wanted a simple phone with a bigger screen for better viewing, and also has all the necessary options that a smart phone can have, although my mom will only use it for calls, surfing the net, and probably snapping some photos.

There aren’t a lot of options here in my country dedicated to older users, so I was obligated to buy one of Samsung smartphones.

November 26, 2014
3:28 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Lately I wanted to buy a smartphone for my mom, and I wanted a simple phone with a bigger screen for better viewing, and also has all the necessary options that a smart phone can have, although my mom will only use it for calls, surfing the net, and probably snapping some photos. There aren’t a lot of options here in my country dedicated to older users, so I was obligated to buy one of Samsung smartphones.

What type of Samsung? When I was a similar dilemma like you, I was interested in Samsung Grand Neo, a 5.1-inch display dual-sim smartphone

Besides being big and suitable for two providers` services, the model included a decent 5MP camera

November 27, 2014
6:45 pm
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166

I got her Samsung Grand Duos, it is 5.0 inches as well which is pretty big compared with her previous phones, it was released last year on January, and it cost me about $210.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019