Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

What do you think of the Google, build your own device? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What do you think of the Google, build your own device?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 15, 2015
11:23 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I like the idea of being able to build your own phone. I’ve always built my own computers for example and I love being able to customize some of the hardware on my laptops. However, as much as I like it, it doesn’t seem all that practical. I mean, surely there’s going to be extra cost involved in being able to offer modules. However I’d like to try one of these devices and module assortments and see what would work out best for me. Here’s an article about the build your own device trial that’s currently going on.

March 19, 2015
1:15 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

If there is a player in marketing that knows to how to transform banality into profit, this is Google

Last week, we heard about Cardboard, very affordable tools for entertainment and now, Google attempts to draw attention with a do-it-yourself model for smartphone

It`s attentively detailed, yet I have done it few years before, when my first smartphone broke and I was curious to see what happened insideWink

March 29, 2015
1:04 pm
Vincom
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 50

Laugh The phone is too small for you to design by your own. RAM, chip, cpu,… all things are solid attached to the mainboard. You can change the SD card :))

June 8, 2015
2:27 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192

Here’s a recent video demo of Project Ara. This is pretty cool, I have to admit it still seems to be in it’s early stages, but I really like the idea. I wish these were available for public purchase as I think they’d be fun to play around with. Right now they’re just in demo and early market pilot stages, it might be a year or two before they’re in full production.

June 15, 2015
4:59 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Here’s a recent video demo of Project Ara. This is pretty cool, I have to admit it still seems to be in it’s early stages, but I really like the idea. I wish these were available for public purchase as I think they’d be fun to play around with. Right now they’re just in demo and early market pilot stages, it might be a year or two before they’re in full production.

This video makes me want play, to create a phone. Waiting to see it on the market, it might be a reliable phone, although I think it`s more like a fun experiment, I don`t see it lasting much than one month on daily use

July 9, 2017
12:49 pm
JeremyDupont
Members
Forum Posts: 4

This is really a good idea from Google. Creating my own phone was always a dream for me, and now it seems to be a reality.

But we should not dream too much because the project is just in demo and may take a long time before it will be fully available. In addition, I don’t expect the project to achieve a big success because a phone is small and it is not like PCs and we cannot make big changes on it.

June 8, 2018
4:22 pm
ultracobra
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I think is great Google made their own devices. Nexus is good quality and other models are doing great as I saw. I hope Google keep doing as well fighting Apple Computers and other giants to promote competence and drop prices improving average quality.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Foysal Kader

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019