Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Three UK | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Three UK
My experience
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
April 19, 2014
9:31 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have been with Three in the UK for about 5 years now, As its the network that’s ‘built on the internet’ I certainly think they deliver on browsing. Websites etc load so much quicker on Three than any other network I’ve used, I know a lot of people on O2 and they are often waiting for pages to download.

Three’s customer service isn’t always the best though, typically their call centre’s seem to be the other side of the world, and often their accent is really hard to understand. 

Apart from that, I find their tariffs extremely competitive, the internet works great and overall I find I get a reasonable coverage, obviously as they only have 3g and 4g transmitters there is never going to be a fantastic signal through certain types of buildings…..but hey, thats what wi-fi is for. 

I have the HTC One, on the now unavailable “One” Plan, the One plan pretty much provides best value for me, its about £38 a month for 2 years, get 2000 minutes to anyone, 5000 minutes to Three numbers, 5000 texts and completely unlimited internet both on the phone and when tethering. 

Three’s new plans now only offer a 2gb cap for tethering, and I can see why they do it, people were finding it cheaper to use the tethering rather than get a home broadband connection, which clearly will impact on the performance of the network for other users. 

April 20, 2014
5:47 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Ste Crook said
I have been with Three in the UK for about 5 years now, As its the network that’s ‘built on the internet’ I certainly think they deliver on browsing. Websites etc load so much quicker on Three than any other network I’ve used, I know a lot of people on O2 and they are often waiting for pages to download.

Three’s customer service isn’t always the best though, typically their call centre’s seem to be the other side of the world, and often their accent is really hard to understand. 

Apart from that, I find their tariffs extremely competitive, the internet works great and overall I find I get a reasonable coverage, obviously as they only have 3g and 4g transmitters there is never going to be a fantastic signal through certain types of buildings…..but hey, thats what wi-fi is for. 

I have the HTC One, on the now unavailable “One” Plan, the One plan pretty much provides best value for me, its about £38 a month for 2 years, get 2000 minutes to anyone, 5000 minutes to Three numbers, 5000 texts and completely unlimited internet both on the phone and when tethering. 

Three’s new plans now only offer a 2gb cap for tethering, and I can see why they do it, people were finding it cheaper to use the tethering rather than get a home broadband connection, which clearly will impact on the performance of the network for other users. 

I like to read stories as yours, about satisfied or almost satisfied customers. If we pay for a certain service and the popularity of a carrier, we expect the best of it. 

My story is somehow similar to yours, the only difference is that in my country Orange seems to behave as Three. I pay 15EUR per month, but I receive unlimited minutes and messages in the same network, plus 500 international and national minutes. Not to omit the 2GB of internet traffic on my smartphone and tabletSmile

April 20, 2014
3:32 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members

Thats not bad then, I was disappointed when I had a look at Tesco Mobiles website a few weeks ago, Tesco is one of the largest supermarkets in the UK, and they have a virtual network, which I believe uses the O2 network.

On most of their plans there was only a 500mb data allowance, if any at all, this includes on smartphones. I don’t understand what there is such a small data allowance from such a large company when dealing with smartphones, it is all too easy to use 500mb of data on a smartphone. So networks like Three look expensive, but having unlimited internet on your device allows you to browse and watch what you like. 

April 26, 2014
6:19 am
Brad
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 49

It seems quite expensive. My plan is much cheaper and I get more texts, minutes and only have to stay on for 1 year.

November 7, 2014
7:26 am
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members

Brad said
It seems quite expensive. My plan is much cheaper and I get more texts, minutes and only have to stay on for 1 year.

Just a heads up, they’ve changed their plans now, the one plan is no longer available, however I upgraded my partners Sim only plan the other day.

For £20 a month she gets: 

Unlimited Texts

4gb Data

Unlimited Calls

…..cant really complain at that as she doesn’t use the internet on her phone a lot…..

November 8, 2014
2:48 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Ste Crook said

Brad said

Just a heads up, they’ve changed their plans now, the one plan is no longer available, however I upgraded my partners Sim only plan the other day.

Unlimited Texts

4gb Data

Unlimited Calls

…..cant really complain at that as she doesn’t use the internet on her phone a lot…..

Not bad at allSmile

Does the new plan include some benefits for international calls or internet on roaming? That would be nice, although you might not travel each month

November 9, 2014
1:17 pm
MagStar
Pittsburgh
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 53

The overall pricing of plans seems to be getting lower, and it also seems like contracts are getting shorter – I don’t know if that’s because more people are going back to pay-as-you-go plans or if its just so the companies can more easily change their ‘super deals’ to stay competitive. Regardless, I’m an unlimited sort of girl. I see my smartphone as a tool. I wouldn’t buy a hammer that’s only good for driving in 10 nails and then I have to pay-per-whack. Then again, a good portion of my work is conducted online; limits may not matter as much to someone who just casually uses the internet.

November 11, 2014
7:16 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members

Costin said

Ste Crook said

Brad said

Unlimited Texts

4gb Data

Unlimited Calls

Not bad at allSmile

Does the new plan include some benefits for international calls or internet on roaming? That would be nice, although you might not travel each month

The new plan does have “feel at home” where in various countries you can call/text/internet etc for no extra charge, but obviously as networks like to make a lot of money this way it is limited to countries where Hutchinson already have a network, although I know the EU are keen to make law’s around the pricing across Europe Three are certainly leading the way at trying to abolish the overseas charges.

Magstar – I haven’t noticed any contracts get shorter personally, most are still 24 months, the supermarkets apply a little pressure to the market sometimes by claiming you can have a phone every year etc but to be fair I once tried Tesco mobile, and they “tripled” your credit, basically I don’t think it was any cheaper, its all smoke and mirrors to make you think you’re getting a better deal than you are. 

What I have noticed though is that although Three offer better value on Sim only to 24 month contract customers, its only around a fiver more to have the 1 month rolling contract, so if you didnt want to be locked into a lengthy contract you’re not breaking the bank because for a fiver more you still get the unlimited calls etc. 

November 27, 2014
4:05 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

As I could notice, in my own country and the other European states that I visited, the norms recommended by European Union are on their way to be officially implemented, although national providers are keen to preserve their current practices

Taking in account the context of the financial crisis, that affected the rate of postpaid subscriptions, they focus now on prepaid services. At the beginning of 2014, for example, I had less advantage with my postpaid plan than my mother using a prepaid plan, so I have to switch to a more expensive plan, in order to satisfy my communication need

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019