Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Internet only Sim cards | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Internet only Sim cards
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 26, 2014
11:57 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was talking to a friend the other day, and she mentioned that she’s on a “data pack” which is what the Australians call a Sim card with internet allowance on it. It’s a Sim card that you can use solely for using the internet, and for receiving calls, and text messages too.

I was wondering whether something like that might be better for me because nowadays almost everyone is on what’s app and Viber, and so if I needed to call, I could call using Viber and message through what’s app (or Viber).

Is anybody else on a similar deal in their country? What are your opinions?

June 2, 2014
7:30 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

During my research, I came across quite a few companies that offer this service for almost the same price.

It would be interesting to see if other counties offer similar deals?

June 3, 2014
3:45 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I have a similar plan from a local provider in my country, but I tend to forget to use it, although it includes 3GB of internet traffic. Wifi connections are everywhere, I automatically choose one and see what`s new on Skype or Hangouts

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

FastEfficient
June 5, 2014
12:52 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

I have a similar plan from a local provider in my country, but I tend to forget to use it, although it includes 3GB of internet traffic. Wifi connections are everywhere, I automatically choose one and see what`s new on Skype or Hangouts

Oh, I see! That’s the same as the UK. I suppose much of Europe is the same in that sense then.

Australia is very different. I was shocked when I saw that there are no Wifi connections anywhere, and that everybody secures their connections.

The local shopping centre only JUST started setting up Wifi connections a few weeks ago!

June 5, 2014
2:05 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

FastEfficient said

Oh, I see! That’s the same as the UK. I suppose much of Europe is the same in that sense then.

Australia is very different. I was shocked when I saw that there are no Wifi connections anywhere, and that everybody secures their connections.
The local shopping centre only JUST started setting up Wifi connections a few weeks ago!

I haven`t visited Australia, but certainly Europe is more democratic from this perspectiv. What`s the risk, if there are few public Wifis, so that tourists can check their mails and locals can browse the newspapers?

Honeslty, pretty strange moods in that part of the world

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

FastEfficient
August 18, 2014
8:06 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

Exactly! I definitely agree with you. Europe is so much more advanced than Australia.
Sometimes I feel as though I’m living in a village!

The good news is: I now have 2GB of internet on my phone because Lyca Mobile  have introduced various bundles, and one of them is this one. Laugh

August 19, 2014
8:23 pm
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166

I have Samsung Galaxy Duos, which I can use 2 SIMs cards at once, I have the normal SIM card and one with internet allowance on it, I don’t use it that much, but it does come in handy if you want to use the internet and you can’t reach up a Wi-Fi.

The following users say thank you to Talla for this useful post:

FastEfficient
August 20, 2014
9:11 am
swappy007
Delhi
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 62

Hi 

In India, you dont really get an internet only SIM for use in mobile phones. However telecom operators do have such SIM’s for data cards. They restrict the use of such internet only SIM cards on mobile phones by identifying such users and blacklisting or banning them completely. 

If banned you lose all the money you spent buying an expensive data package. 

The following users say thank you to swappy007 for this useful post:

FastEfficient
August 21, 2014
3:29 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

swappy007 said
Hi 

In India, you dont really get an internet only SIM for use in mobile phones. However telecom operators do have such SIM’s for data cards. They restrict the use of such internet only SIM cards on mobile phones by identifying such users and blacklisting or banning them completely. 

If banned you lose all the money you spent buying an expensive data package. 

How can you be banned for using what`s best for your needs? I guess European market is a more open one, although I used to think you can get everything you want in USA

Anyhow, maybe organizations of customers claiming their rights as consumers, might change this restrictive perspective. Whenever consumers protest here, companies change their strategies in a certain way

August 25, 2014
8:41 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Talla said
I have Samsung Galaxy Duos, which I can use 2 SIMs cards at once, I have the normal SIM card and one with internet allowance on it, I don’t use it that much, but it does come in handy if you want to use the internet and you can’t reach up a Wi-Fi.

Oh, that’s fantastic and convenient! I wasn’t aware there were any phones out there that catered for two Sim cards at the same time!

Although I know this feature was available with Nokia phones about ten years ago! Laugh

August 30, 2014
1:41 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Talla said I have Samsung Galaxy Duos, which I can use 2 SIMs cards at once, I have the normal SIM card and one with internet allowance on it, I don’t use it that much, but it does come in handy if you want to use the internet and you can’t reach up a Wi-Fi.

Oh, that’s fantastic and convenient! I wasn’t aware there were any phones out there that catered for two Sim cards at the same time! Although I know this feature was available with Nokia phones about ten years ago! Laugh

I guess that most of the manufacturers adopted this vogue, in order to become more flexible for their customers. These days I saw a Xperia T2 dual-sim, which isn`t that bad, but still the classic Xperia is still betterLaugh  

September 9, 2014
3:31 am
Raisaa
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 401
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do have a cellphone having two sim slot & I have a Internet only Sim card from my cellphone service provider. Actually I got two internet only sim (one for cellphone & one for PC) from two different cellphone service provider, just to taste their service. The only benefit of a internet only sim I found there is no interruption in connection Like you are using internet with your regular sim & someone calls you, what happens? your browsing/downloading is stopped until you finish talking. Kiss

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019