Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Cell phones in Ireland for the coming trip ? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Cell phones in Ireland for the coming trip ?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 28, 2014
7:28 am
kingdom88
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We’ve bought our tickets and we’re making reservations! I’m very excited about our upcoming trip to Ireland.

We’ll be a group of 6. I wondered about cell phones, so we can communicate with one another if people want to visit different sites and then meet up again later. All of us have American cell phone plans, so we can call anywhere in the U.S. without incurring long-distance charges. But I’m guessing that we’d have to pay significant roaming charges in other countries. Plus I didn’t know if our cell phones would even work in Ireland. (The 3 of us have Verizon. I’m not sure about my mom or brother, or his girlfriend.)

Do you have any advice? Thanks.Laugh

January 29, 2014
12:39 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Indeed, you will pay extra, while using the benefits included in your current contracts. Whenever I travel, I always purchase a local pre-pay SIM card, while my contract remains active for emergencies. In Ireland, as in UK Orange is an affordable choice, I can guarantee from my own experienceCool

April 20, 2014
3:37 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

Your existing phone should work in Ireland, however you will incur huge charges if you use it, also make sure you turn off your data connection, as apps on smartphones pull quite a bit of data throughout the day. 

When in Ireland you are better off picking up a sim card, doesn’t really matter which network as they are all pretty much the same price on pay as you go, just maybe ask where you’re staying which network gets a better signal there, obviously you dont want to be on a network where there’s no signal in the area you are going to be spending most of your time.

Sim cards cost about €1, often requiring a €10 initial top up 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters: