Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Why are international calls expensive than local calls? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Why are international calls expensive than local calls?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
June 16, 2014
1:12 am
RedBubble
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 80
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

At this age, there shouldn’t be a difference between international calls and local calls because people can still use the internet to connect with people living abroad. I’m not sure about other countries, but here in Morocco international calls are definitely more expensive than local calls.

August 12, 2014
11:03 am
viajarmundial
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 21

Until a provider offers them more I expensively, they will charge what the market will bear.  There isn’t the demand that there is in the States and it took a long time for those prices and plans to come down.

August 13, 2014
11:16 am
swappy007
Delhi
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 62

The reason for the same is the vast network that connects the call. There are networks in the sea and far off parts of the world that connects your call between two countries. Internet calls however works in a different way. 

These calls are routed through different servers in the form of data packets. This is why one can find calling through internet to be cheaper than calling through normal telephone lines. 

August 17, 2014
10:49 am
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166

I would be surprised if it was the opposite, but I think because people use other options than a phone call to make international call, it cost more than a local calls, in other words the demand play a big role here.

September 20, 2014
4:53 pm
rgd2014
UK
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 78

swappy007 said
The reason for the same is the vast network that connects the call. There are networks in the sea and far off parts of the world that connects your call between two countries. Internet calls however works in a different way. 

These calls are routed through different servers in the form of data packets. This is why one can find calling through internet to be cheaper than calling through normal telephone lines. 

In addition to what the poster above said, taxes/surcharges also involves when you make international calls. 

September 22, 2014
7:37 am
Md Din Islam
Bangladesh
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 63

it’s a simple matter I think. there is a normal matter to talk wit anyone who lives in my area any time I want but when this the matter about abroad we search a situation & we didn’t call abroad anytime we want.So this simple to talk costly abroad!

September 29, 2014
12:50 pm
shere1895
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 85

Internation call uses a vast network. For bypassing multy network it takes huge cost than local area. Cause Local area network (LAN) can easily connect to the other network operator which cost effective. For example, when I call from Bangladesh to Malaysia then my local area network has a cost but when this network access to the Malaysia network then Malaysia obviously cut the  charge from Bangladeshi nework company. So, it proofs that you have to cost two times for two different place on internetional calling. I think now you can understand.

February 9, 2015
9:02 am
jangwl
Silver
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 121

Two different telcos are earning the money from the same client. This is the real world of business. 

Best Regards

Richard

http://www.richardjang.com

February 21, 2015
4:18 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Generally, if you call in the same network of a provider, for example from Romania to UK in Vodafone, your call will be assoicated with costs related to infrastructure

Vodafone has to purchase licenses for every state it operates. Until reaching UK, my call will symbolically pass through Hungary, Germany or Belgium, as consequence it will be charged with the fees associated with this transfer

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019