Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Locked and Unlocked Phones | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics Nicaragua
Locked and Unlocked Phones
do you know what an unlocked phone is vs. a locked phone
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 4, 2014
3:49 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 130
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Whether your phone is locked or unlocked is an important thing to know if you are travelling or living internationally. If you are planning to buy or use a phone that you bought in the States or Canada you may need to research if your phone is locked. If it is, this means you can only use your current provider. This can be a problem when living or visiting for an extended time to Nicaragua or other places international. Here you will need to use a local provider, if your company back home is not affiliated you will not have service. There are different ways to unlock phones. The easiest is to simply buy an unlocked phone, these usually cost a little bit more but it very well may be worth it. If your phone is not unlocked you will spend a lot of time and money calling your provider and trying to get it unlocked. There are some sites online that tell you how to do it manually as well.

July 5, 2014
5:39 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

It`s quite annoying the practic of locking phones, but I guess this is the strategy of providers to `lock` customers to their network. Naturally, you can unlock it, but if the service cost $100 and you paid $150 for it, it`s wiser to leave it like this

July 7, 2014
7:24 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

Its only wiser if you dont care to use the phone internationally. If you want to use your phone in Nicaragua with either a Claro or Movistar chip you NEED to unlock the phone. You can use some phones with a service plan from the States, but if you are for example, moving to another country it is hard to try and keep a US plan and cheaper to get a local service provider.

July 9, 2014
7:24 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

In the case of my country, the difference between locked and unlocked smartphones is essential, estimated between $40-$60, while the effective cost of unlocking before the end of your subscription might raise to $100

It`s unfair, but not even local authorities can convince major providers to give up or adjust this practice

July 9, 2014
3:32 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

To me the whole thing seems somewhat silly, but people need to be aware that there is a difference. Living in Nicaragua I see so many people struggling with their phones that they brought from the the States. It would save a lot of headaches if people paid attention to this before traveling or moving. Although, I still dont understand why people find it necessary to purchase a phone from the States when they sell perfectly good, more simply repaired and just as affordable phones here.

July 12, 2014
3:47 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

If you do not have an unlocked phone it is possible to this according to directions online for your specific phone. These directions vary depending on the site, but I have heard people that have successfully navigated through the process. It may take some time and some heavy hunting online, but it is possible. Also, with some phones and providers you can call the company, such as AT&T and request the phone to be unlocked. Some providers are more helpful then others. Bueno suerte.

October 7, 2014
1:25 am
CSKda
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Yes. It is a big hassle to carry a network locked cell phone while international traveling. I too had a network locked Nokia phone and I needed to unlock it desperately before leaving my country. Though I didn’t get enough support from my network provider, I got the free unlocking code from Unlocking4Free.com it was very useful for me.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019