Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Putting time or minutes on your cell phone | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics Nicaragua
Putting time or minutes on your cell phone
Nicaragua has a unique way of adding time to your cell phone
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 7, 2014
8:08 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 130
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Here in Nicaragua if you have a cell phone there are plans, but majority of people go day by day. You can add time or minutes to your cell phone at a pulpuria or corner store. You give the person behind the counter your number, which they write down in a notebook, from there they ask how much you want to spend. It is important to know if there are promotions, some of them have a minimum amount to be valid. They will proceed to call/text you time in and you will receive multiple text messages confirming the time and valid promotions. If the store is “sponsored” or owned by your provider there is no service charge. Otherwise expect to pay 10% of the amount you added to your cell phone. For example: 50 Cordobas of time will cost you 55 Cordobas at a regular pulperia. Just look for the signs outside for you company….inside they “recarga” or recharge your time.

July 9, 2014
4:10 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

When putting time on your phone it is a smart idea to take your phone with you. This way you can hear the verification of the time received. Several times when I have put time on a friend’s phone or visa versa the time has not gone through, but the person paying had no way of knowing, as the phone was not with them. Also, I generally do not pay until my phone registers the time. This only takes a few moments and once the phone starts alerting me of text messages I go ahead and pay. This may be cautious but it saves getting angry if the time does not go through for some reason….and that reason is not always human error, sometimes the companies are slow or the lines are full due to big promotions.

July 12, 2014
1:57 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

The checking part is always a must-have for prepaid plans, sometimes errors can appear out of the blue

During the last five years, I used only postpaid plans, so I knew that during a certain day during each month, I would receive the amount of minutes and messages that I signed for

July 12, 2014
3:18 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

Interesting. So far I have not heard of any plans like that here in Nicaragua, but I will ask around and post if I hear of this. I do like here not being “locked” into any plans. If you are short on money at one point or another you can just skip adding money to your phone and wait for people to call you…Yes, here you can still receive calls even if you dont have any “saldo” or time left. I also like not having a plan because if you decide to travel, lets say go to the States for two weeks, you do not have to pay for the time you are not using your phone. I find it easier for a travel lifestyle.

July 13, 2014
7:49 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Communication opportunities are mostly attractive in Nicaragua!

The fact you can still use your smartphone, although you haven`t added credit, is a miracle. Here, the only thing you can do is to call the local version of 911 and similar social services

July 14, 2014
3:12 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

You might do better in Nicaragua to send a carrier pigeon than try and call for emergency services. My friend recently called an ambulance to get a recording. It also seems that the police number is not very well attended to. With that being said I will have to check and see if you can still call emergency services with no time. Interesting that I never thought about it before today.

July 17, 2014
2:28 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Paul B said
You might do better in Nicaragua to send a carrier pigeon than try and call for emergency services. My friend recently called an ambulance to get a recording. It also seems that the police number is not very well attended to. With that being said I will have to check and see if you can still call emergency services with no time. Interesting that I never thought about it before today.

It`s quite weird that emergency numbers aren`t fully supported. In Europe, every country is determined to take in the nick of time such a call, in order to solve the problem, with minimal damage

Probably because it happens something bad each day, starting with common car accidents and ending with terrorist attacks. I guess we are taught since children to call 112, once we see something dramatic happening around us 

July 21, 2014
2:24 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

Even in the smaller towns here in Nicaragua the police are routinely present, but money for gas is not always available. Often if you want police presence you need to go to the station, give them money for gas and then if they feel like it they will help. In the larger towns police usually have the money for gas and can be quick to respond if they feel there is immediate danger. If there is a health crisis, it is faster and more reliable to drive the person in need to care to the hospital on your own, or even pay a taxi as it is difficult to reach emergency care. Strange here, but people seem to be more adept at taking care of problems on their own then looking for help.

August 6, 2014
7:09 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Paul B said
Even in the smaller towns here in Nicaragua the police are routinely present, but money for gas is not always available. Often if you want police presence you need to go to the station, give them money for gas and then if they feel like it they will help. In the larger towns police usually have the money for gas and can be quick to respond if they feel there is immediate danger. If there is a health crisis, it is faster and more reliable to drive the person in need to care to the hospital on your own, or even pay a taxi as it is difficult to reach emergency care. Strange here, but people seem to be more adept at taking care of problems on their own then looking for help.

It`s quite a weird situation, but I guess people got used to it and wouldn`t want to leave somebody else do the job for them

August 14, 2014
3:07 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have mixed answers about calling emergency services with no time. Some people say you can and others say they have tried to no avail. This must be taken with a grain of salt as it may be the phone, or it may be the receiving end not responding, which would not be far from the imagination. As I have not had a reason to try and call emergency services I do not have first hand knowledge of this situation. I also do not know many people that waste their time trying to call emergency services, it is faster and more reliable to take matters into your own hands.

August 14, 2014
8:25 pm
viajarmundial
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 21
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there a number like 911 to call in an emergency or do you need to get the number of the police, hospital, ambulance etc.  That used to be the way before they invented 911.  

August 19, 2014
4:28 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

In Nicaragua they have several different numbers for emergency services, I believe 611 is for police, but this also can vary from area to area. In some places, especially the smaller communities you will have better luck walking or taking a taxi to the police station as the smaller sub-stations in those areas do not receive the emergency call, rather the larger station will get it and you will be relying on the fact that they may….if they get to it….forward the call to the sub-station. Considering most of the smaller communities are a long distance from the main stations you could wait a long time just to find out no one received the call.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019