Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

How to call the States | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics Nicaragua
How to call the States
Country code for the United States
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 9, 2014
3:55 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 130
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I guess it has been a long time since I had to ask, but almost every day I am asked “how do you call the United States from here (Nicaragua)?”. This is simple. When calling internationally you simply use the country code in front of the number you are calling. The country code for the United States is 001. So for example you would dial: 001-area code – phone number (001-50X-450-4990). If you are calling Canada or Costa Rica you will need to inquire what their country codes are. You can also find this information online.

July 20, 2014
3:21 pm
viajarmundial
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 21

How much does it cost to use your phone to call the States?  Do you ever buy those prepaid cards or do you just put money on your phone now?  Are pay phones still available?  I don’t want to bring my expensive phone if there is a better way?

July 21, 2014
2:16 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

Pay phones are a thing of the past, even here in Nicaragua. I would suggest buying a local phone for $12-$16 if you are staying for a little while. Otherwise you can go to an internet cafe to make a quick call internationally. This will cost 3-5 Cordobas per minute, so talk fast. The pre-paid cards are still popular in Costa Rica but hard to find here, if they are here at all.

July 21, 2014
2:38 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

It is also wise to not bring an expensive phone as they are popular items of theft and you need to wary of roaming charges and data charges if you bring a phone from the States. If something goes wrong here it can be hard to fix and dont forget there is a lot more sand, humidity and water here then most places. It is impossible to keep sand off electronics and this can mess up fancy phones. Again, consider buying a local phone, you can always give it to someone when you leave. I know people that have gone through 4 phones in 6 months down here.

August 2, 2014
9:58 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Paul B said
It is also wise to not bring an expensive phone as they are popular items of theft and you need to wary of roaming charges and data charges if you bring a phone from the States. If something goes wrong here it can be hard to fix and dont forget there is a lot more sand, humidity and water here then most places. It is impossible to keep sand off electronics and this can mess up fancy phones. Again, consider buying a local phone, you can always give it to someone when you leave. I know people that have gone through 4 phones in 6 months down here.

Your remarkable related to theft is available in my country too. The newer and more expensive is a gadget, the more likely is for the owner to magically lose it

Luckily for me, humidity is normal here and no sand, so smartphone don`t suffer for these causes

August 8, 2014
2:39 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

Your remarkable related to theft is available in my country too. The newer and more expensive is a gadget, the more likely is for the owner to magically lose it

Luckily for me, humidity is normal here and no sand, so smartphone don`t suffer for these causes

You are correct and it is surprising how many owners “magically” lose electronics…and funny enough they are never found, but occasionally you will see the exact same electronic in someone’s hands. Funny how that works. I once had a computer stolen and a taxi driver approached me and told me he had bought my computer. I asked how he knew it was mine….The screen saver was a picture of me and my husband….Funny how he “found” it…

August 13, 2014
6:27 pm
viajarmundial
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 21

So did the taxi driver give (sell) you your computer back?   has anyone ever returned any electronics or are they just gone?

August 14, 2014
3:00 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members

The taxi driver “generously” offered to sell the computer back to me for $200…the price he paid for it. The computer was on its last legs and out of pure principal I was not going to buy back my own stolen property. Many people have had things stolen. To date I have not heard of anyone ever getting anything back. Most towns are small enough that the local population “knows” who is responsible but the turn over is quick. Usually by the time you realize something is gone, it is long gone on its way to Managua or another town or neighborhood to be re-sold. I did hear of one guy that recognized the boy who had pushed him and when the man stood back up he found his wallet gone. The next day he found the boy on the street and approached him with hostility and was able to force his hand into the boys pocket and retrieve his wallet…cash gone but everything else in tack. It is advisable to not carry expansive electronics, or even have them here, but if you do need them it is recommended to secure them before dark.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019