Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Vacation in Russia | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS Russian_Federation
Vacation in Russia
Cell phone advice when visiting Russia as a tourist
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
May 20, 2014
6:01 am
alar872
Members
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Say you decided to visit Russia. No matter what exactly got you interested, be it architecture, museums or just the will to visit places you have never visited before, you still will have a cell phone with you, that will not only have to be able to take pictures and video, but must be able to share them with your family and friends through messaging, Facebook or Twitter. Below is some information regarding the ways to get mobile access while visiting the biggest country in the world.

The first thing you need to know is that there are no CDMA phones in Russia, every phone works with the SIM-card. So generally when you come to Russia, you just need to buy a SIM-card of the format that will fit your mobile, install it in your phone and you will be good to go. If your mobile doesn’t support the SIM option, you will either have to buy such phone before entering the country or you can purchase one right at the airport of entry in one of the kiosks installed there. And trust me, there will always be one. The cheapest phone available will cost you around 600 RUB, which roughly converts to 20 dollars US.

One more interesting thing to know – there are no mobile contracts in Russia. Sure, there is a credit option available for the phones with prices above 200USD, but you are still free to use any SIM card with it and therefore switch your number and or mobile plan as often as you want.

So when it comes to the selection of the SIM card there are 3 main options available that represent 95% of the mobile market in Russia: MTS, Megafon and Beeline. There is a couple more of the companies that try to make it in the Russian mobile market, but they are too small to provide the consistant service and most probably will not be available in the airports to begin with. Further on I will give you more information about each one of these three companies, tell you where and how to buy their SIM cards and give some advice on the mobile plans for you to select.

May 20, 2014
4:17 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Thanks for the information shared!
Can you offer some rates for the carriers you mentioned? I mean, if I get a MTS SIM card and I want to use it to call in Russia, how much would cost me? And what`s more important, for international calls how much would that be? 

I`m interested to compare the costs implied by a local carrier with the benefits I can obtain by preserving my number on roaming

May 21, 2014
4:07 am
alar872
Members

So as I mentioned earlier Beeline, Megafon and MTS are the main mobile network providers in Russia. They are very close to each other when it comes to the range of services they offer, all three will let you send all types of messages, and provide Internet options up to 4G, and the only real difference is in the pricing and the way they charge you for international and intercity calls.

All 3 providers will have their own kiosks available in the airport or scatered throughout the city and they will look like so:

Beeline ShopImage Enlarger

Beeline shop will be colored in yellow and black as can be seen above

MegafonImage Enlarger

Megafon is green and blue

MTSImage Enlarger

And MTS will be red.

You can also find all three operators available in the shop called Svjaznoy. Those guys sell everything in one place, so you will be able to find every operator there as well as a wider selection of mobile phones if you are inclined to purchase one. Their booths look like such:

%D0%9A%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%8C-%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%82-%D0%B2-%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%82-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5-%D0%A1%D0%B2%D1%8F%D0%B7%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9.jpgImage Enlarger

May 21, 2014
4:10 am
alar872
Members

Sure, Costin, I will add the rates as a part of this thread. I am just trying to make sure I have all the bases covered before going into the rates :)

May 21, 2014
2:42 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

alar872 said
Sure, Costin, I will add the rates as a part of this thread. I am just trying to make sure I have all the bases covered before going into the rates :)

Thank you!

It`s brilliant the way you displayed the information about all the carriers in you area. In this way, tourists won`t get lost, since those brands aren`t connected with telecommunication titans like Orange or VodafoneKiss

May 22, 2014
3:34 am
alar872
Members

I think it is about time to give you more specifics on each company’s pricing and offers. We will start with probably the oldest one and in my opinion the most controversial of the three: MTS. The story with them is in the beggining they were considered to be the most government affiliated, some say that such affiliation allows them to provide the better coverage, others that it allows them to charge more.

Whether that is true or not, we will not know, but what many have noticed after using the service for some time that it is not uncommon to see the money being taken off your balance without you using them at the moment. Most of such “slip offs” can be explained by the way the company charges you: their daily charge is not regular although should stay within the limits of your monthly plan payment, and it can take up to several days between the actual call and the moment they will take money of your account for it.

Another nonappealing trade consists of giving you the services beyond the requested ones and charging you for them without really telling you about it. Sometimes it leads to quite a debt on your end for using something silly like “melody instead of the beep” for 0.99$ a day that you have no clue about as nobody really cares to tell you.

At the end this tends to make people much more cautious about their balance, which you can check by dialing #100# for English. To check how many MMS, SMS or how many minutes or GPRS traffic left on your mobile plan dial #100*1#

So why use them at all? Well, they do provide fairly decent coverage all over the biggest cities, say Moscow or St. Petersburg, and they have international plans that allow you to call outside Russia for as low as 4.9 RUB a minute (0.143 USD/minute) All you have to do is connect the service called Favorite Country. The World, for 70 RUB (2USD) and select the country you will be calling the most as your favourite one. All the incoming calls and messages will be free of course.

For the calls inside the country the pricing will depend on which operator you will be calling to. For example the mobile plan Smart allows you to call for free for the first 400 minutes of talk. After 400 minutes calling other MTS numbers will remain free and they will charge you 2RUB (0.06USD) to call the numbers form other providers. To access such mobile plan you will have to pay 24.75 USD every month.

Such plan will provide 1GB of mobile internet of up to 4G quality, that once being used up will drop the speed to 256kbps. to bring the speed back up you will have to buy additional 500MB or 2GB of mobile internet by paying 75RUB or 200RUB (2.2 or 5.8 USD) accordingly. If you want to start with 3GB Initially you can select Smart+ option that will cost you 30USD against 24.75 for just Smart.

For more information on available mobile plans please visit http://en.mts.ru/tariffs/

May 22, 2014
3:37 am
alar872
Members

Costin said

alar872 said

Thank you!

It`s brilliant the way you displayed the information about all the carriers in you area. In this way, tourists won`t get lost, since those brands aren`t connected with telecommunication titans like Orange or VodafoneKiss

Thanks Costin! Thank you for reading. Hopefully information will be useful for someone.

May 23, 2014
2:22 am
alar872
Members

The next company to look at will be Beeline. Very well known across Russia for its commercials, it is yet not very memorable. It provides the service and takes your money at a very stale rate and the only really annoying thing about it is that this provider tends to send you advert messages on your phone without any signal or notice. So every once in a while you take a look at your mobile phone and see that you have received another offer to connect to some service or download a ringtone. It is hramless and as far as I aware costs you no money, so it is all that it is – annoying. Unless you click on confirmation button instead of just deleting the service, in that case cancell the purchase (which will be made instantly) is going to be a hassle.

Beeline pushes for monthly payments and that is what their mobile plans are about. The most common plan called Vsjo (Everything) has options for 100, 300, 500 and 1000 RUB a month and differs by number SMSes, calls and Internet traffic you can have. Vsjo 300 is the most popular one and it provides:

150 minutes of talk a day for other Beeline users all over Russia;

300 minutes a month to talk to users from other providers;

300 SMS messages;

1GB of the mobile Internet.

As always incoming calls and messages are free.

To send MMS will cost you 6.6RUB and once the limit of calls and messages is exceeded they will start charging you with 0.25RUB per minute to call Beeline users; 1RUB a minute to call other users and 1RUB to send messages within the vicinity.

To make international calls will cost you 35RUB (1USD!) a minute, which is going to be the same for any other Vsjo plan you select.
They have mobile plan called “Welcome” but apparently it is only for our guests from the former Union republics and it is still pretty expensive.

Unfortunately I failed to find the mobile plans for this operator available in English, so here is their Russian website and if you can find information on your own – be my guest: https://moskva.beeline.ru/customers/products/ 

The following users say thank you to alar872 for this useful post:

Costin
May 23, 2014
2:51 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

alar872 said

Costin said

alar872 said

Thank you!

Thanks Costin! Thank you for reading. Hopefully information will be useful for someone.

Thank you for sharing all those details! 

Naturally, they are useful:) Although Russia is few kilometers ahead from Romania, still I didn`t manage to visit it. So, when I will choose your country as location of my holiday, I will know what to choose

May 24, 2014
4:14 pm
alar872
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

The last but not the least company in the top three of the mobile providers is Megafon. I have to warn you that I will be fairly bias about it as this is currently the provider I am with. But then again, deciding to go with certain mobile network already proves it quality, so maybe bias is not the word. As with the other two operators, I will provide the link for their webpage at the end, so you will have a chance to check it out yourself.

Megafon is the second biggest mobile services provider (after MTS) and is just as politically engaged as the leader. It originated from St. Petersburg and till today has the best coverage in that cuty, including the subway system (sic!). They tend to be the first ones to try new stuff, Megafon was the first one to install GSM 1800 towers instead of GSM 900, like every other company out there and they pioneered LTE networks (4G).

Their webpage offers three main plans – to chat with users of the same network (Move to 0), to chat with users of other providers (All is simple) and the monthly payment plan (All inclusive). For international users there is the plan called Warm Welcome. A bit more on that later. 

I am currently using the All Inclusive plan. There are 3 options – S, M and L. I have chosen S which costs me 8 RUB (0.23USD) a day that gives me:

• 300 min of talk time;
• 1 GB Internet 3G, 4G+;
• 100 SMS/ММS

A month. If I exceed the limits I have to pay 0.8RUB (0.02USD) a minute to call other networks. To call the other guys on my network is free.

As with the other operators exceeding the internet limit will drop the Internet speed down to practically 0. And to call abroad (as in Europe) it really does not matter which plan you chose, it will always be the same – calls to Europe for 29.95 RUB (0.88USD) and to every other country for 68.80 RUB (2.02USD) a minute.

And now for the Warm Welcome plan. It is about the only one available if you access the English webpage of the Megafon: http://english.moscow.megafon……u/tariffs/ and it will provide you calls for 3.5/5 RUB a minute to Europe BUT if it is your first call to Europe they will charge you 100 RUB and provide you 60 minutes of such calls. When you talked through the 60 minutes they will get back to the original rates 29.95 for Europe and 68.80 for Americas untill you buy another 60 minutes for 100 RUB. So it is highly advised to monitor the amount of minutes left. You can do it by dialing *558#

So to make your life easier, go for All Included instead and connect the International Hour, which will provide you with cheaper local calls as per selected plan, and save you on international calls as per Warm Welcome deal.

May 24, 2014
4:19 pm
alar872
Members
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Costin said

alar872 said

Costin said

alar872 said

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing all those details! 

Naturally, they are useful:) Although Russia is few kilometers ahead from Romania, still I didn`t manage to visit it. So, when I will choose your country as location of my holiday, I will know what to choose

As far as I know visiting Russia is a fairly complicated task due to hardcore visa processing and language barrier. Hopefully by writing this I will remove problems with the mobile coverage out of the deal ;)

May 25, 2014
1:15 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alar872, you made me wonder:) what`s wrong with other European citizens coming to Russia?

I haven`t caused any trouble in the countries I visited, I know people with criminal record are usually advised to return home

Local language is strictly mandatory? Isn`t English is accepted in public space?

May 26, 2014
9:03 am
alar872
Members
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Costin said
Alar872, you made me wonder:) what`s wrong with other European citizens coming to Russia?

I haven`t caused any trouble in the countries I visited, I know people with criminal record are usually advised to return home

Local language is strictly mandatory? Isn`t English is accepted in public space?

Russian is by no means mandatory when you come to visit, but the problem is that it is not very well spread among the general population. So depending on the way you come to visit – by tour or by yourself, you may experience from no to significant difficulties trying to communicate your needs to people around you.

To be fair though, most of the tourist places will provide the interpreter or reading material in English, and I believe almost every hotel will have English speaking stuff. So as long as you don’t intend on chatting random people on the streets up, you will be ok. But although people, especially in Moscow, are no strangers to English, many foreigners I know who visited Russia before admit that communication was a problem.

I hope that doesn’t stop you though :)

The following users say thank you to alar872 for this useful post:

Costin
May 28, 2014
4:50 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Costin said Alar872, you made me wonder:) what`s wrong with other European citizens coming to Russia? I haven`t caused any trouble in the countries I visited, I know people with criminal record are usually advised to return home Local language is strictly mandatory? Isn`t English is accepted in public space?

Russian is by no means mandatory when you come to visit, but the problem is that it is not very well spread among the general population. So depending on the way you come to visit – by tour or by yourself, you may experience from no to significant difficulties trying to communicate your needs to people around you. To be fair though, most of the tourist places will provide the interpreter or reading material in English, and I believe almost every hotel will have English speaking stuff. So as long as you don’t intend on chatting random people on the streets up, you will be ok. But although people, especially in Moscow, are no strangers to English, many foreigners I know who visited Russia before admit that communication was a problem. I hope that doesn’t stop you though :)

Who? Me, scared by a challenge? I would definitely visit Russia, but surely not this year. I`m quite irritated by the situation developed in Ukraine

Thank you for all the details you provide!

May 29, 2014
2:00 pm
alar872
Members
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

So you should have a pretty good idea by now about which mobile plan you wish to acquire and know where to buy it from. To close off the topic the only thing that is left to be covered is how to buy the SIM-card of your preference. Which is pretty easy as the only two thing you will need is money and some sort of ID. I believe your traveling document will suffice. Just hand that to the seller in the shop you decided to make a purchase in and tell him or her the name of the plan you prefer.

He or she will enter all the information in the system and will hand you the pack of the SIM-cards so you can choose the number you like the best.

Once that is set, the SIM-card will need to be activated. Just ask the seller to do it for you or follow the instructions on the SIM-card, although those might be in Russian. And you are all set to enjoy your mobile experience!

The only reminder left is that you should probably unsubscribe from the mobile plan once leaving, especially if it is the monthly payment plan. Most of them will stop functioning as money will run out, but it is still a sensible thing to do. To unsubscribe, call the help line or visit the shop once again.

That’s it, have fun and thanks for reading!

June 2, 2014
7:29 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

It`s something in the air in this part of the world with the unsubscribing phase:)

When one of my friends, A German citizen, wanted to use for three months a local telecommunication service, he purchased a prepaid plan, charge the amount he needed and when he wanted to leave the country, he thought by hazard to ask a sales representative, if there is something that he needs to do before giving up the service

You should have seen his face, when he found out that he had to call to customer service, to ask for unsubscribing. In Germany, everything is simpler: you don`t use a prepaid plan, it`s automatically deactivated in 30 days

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019