Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Facebook, Broadband drones? | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Facebook, Broadband drones?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
March 31, 2015
9:06 am
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Facebook recently released some detail on it’s broadband drone plans for underdeveloped countries and very rural areas. “Facebook has stated that while some of the solar-powered drones the company is experimenting with are the size of a Boeing 747, light-weight construction materials mean they can weigh as little as four car tires, allowing them to potentially remain in flight for months or years at a time.”

The size of a Boeing 747 is huge, for a drone, but it’s a very interesting project. I wonder how long they’d be able to stay in the air before they require maintenance. I think it’s good that companies are developing more efficient ways to provide broadband connectivity to countries that otherwise would not be able to afford to install the infrastructure required.

The following users say thank you to Cellnut for this useful post:

Costin
April 11, 2015
5:17 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

The idea is extremely attractive, but I wonder how those drones will resist to a sand storm in Africa or closer, to a violent storm in the Black Sea?

Sometimes nature is still more powerful than technology

May 3, 2015
10:48 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members

That’s a very good point that you make Costin. It may not work out as well as they hope. I think the key focus they desire is cost effective cell phone and limited broadband service for Africa. I don’t think anyone envisions Africa having a wired broadband service installed continent wide anytime soon.   I think another concern for these kinds of things is the countries in Africa are constantly changing hands and these drones, and other forms of flying broadband could be shot out of the sky.

June 3, 2015
5:31 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

Cellnut said
That’s a very good point that you make Costin. It may not work out as well as they hope. I think the key focus they desire is cost effective cell phone and limited broadband service for Africa. I don’t think anyone envisions Africa having a wired broadband service installed continent wide anytime soon.   I think another concern for these kinds of things is the countries in Africa are constantly changing hands and these drones, and other forms of flying broadband could be shot out of the sky.

Additionally to the your observations, I would add are some African countries interested in broadband Internet?

I`m afraid, with the exception of few states as South Africa, the majority are marked by authoritarian political regimes. Internet means freedom of speech, something that a dictator isn`t willing to accept too soon

June 8, 2015
2:14 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members

That’s a great point you have, and yes, there are only a few nations in Africa that are both stable and open enough in terms of government to allow internet where freedom of information could change the political and power climates there. However, at least for the few countries where this be welcomed very easily, I see it having some use. I mean, let’s face it, even if you could only supply limited mobile broadband to some access points or a basic cellular wireless network, I feel that it could be positive to the societies there. I think the largest plus is more communication and education benefits.

June 15, 2015
5:21 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

That’s a great point you have, and yes, there are only a few nations in Africa that are both stable and open enough in terms of government to allow internet where freedom of information could change the political and power climates there. However, at least for the few countries where this be welcomed very easily, I see it having some use. I mean, let’s face it, even if you could only supply limited mobile broadband to some access points or a basic cellular wireless network, I feel that it could be positive to the societies there. I think the largest plus is more communication and education benefits.

As you mentioned, it could be a plus, but the population has to be prepared for it

The youth is likely to accept, while people over 40 years might treat it as an external threat, something that the West uses to distract their attention from real issues as famine, illness

April 1, 2017
3:47 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148

Costin said

As you mentioned, it could be a plus, but the population has to be prepared for it

The youth is likely to accept, while people over 40 years might treat it as an external threat, something that the West uses to distract their attention from real issues as famine, illness  

I was looking in to this today and haven’t seen anything new about Facebook and Drones since 2014.

But it looks like hotels are buying their own drones in order to provide internet.

http://www.konbini.com/ng/life…..-in-ghana/

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters: