Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Preventing smart phones from being used while driving | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Preventing smart phones from being used while driving
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 17, 2017
3:09 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It’s a real problem here in the United States – and I’d guess the rest of the world.

People insist on talking – or much worse, texting – while they’re driving. The accident rate for cars has gone up in the last several years because of this.

Also, if people aren’t texting on their smart phones they’re doing it on their tablets, apparently.

There is a case heading for a lawsuit now. A driver was Facetiming on his iPad while driving, got into an accident, and killed some people. The family of the people who died are suing Apple because they didn’t design Facetime so it wouldn’t be used while someone was driving.

How is that even possible?

Next thing you know, families will be suing the inventors of the Texting service for not making sure it couldn’t be used while a car was in motion!

The point is that individual responsibility is individual responsibility. It is not Apple’s fault if some idiot Facetimes while driving! But since Apple is a billion dollar company, lawyers are eager to take on the case because they know they will make a fortune whether or not their clients win or lose.

January 21, 2017
11:38 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I have my doubts whether Apple is the guilty part in this story, naturally the company has an aggressive marketing strategy, it sells good and it`s attractive for millions of users, but I think it`s too much

I would raise another question: what if the driver forgot that he also had responsibility on the road and not only rights? I think authorities as police should punish more severely the neglected driving style, rather than blaming a manufacturer

I am also a driver, I am tempted everyday to pickup the phone or tablet and see what`s happening, but I know that I have to stop nearby and check it, not during driving

February 2, 2017
10:37 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148

Costin said
I would raise another question: what if the driver forgot that he also had responsibility on the road and not only rights? I think authorities as police should punish more severely the neglected driving style, rather than blaming a manufacturer

That is the common sense answer, isn’t it?  Personal responsibility!

Unfortunately, in the United States at least, people will sue companies because they have the “bigger pockets” and equally unfortunately the juries will award these people million dollar judgements against the company just because they can, I guess.

Being a lawyer in the United States is very lucrative! Normally in a lawsuit I think they get about 50% of whatever the judgment against the company is and the company will frequently settle because it’s cheaper to do that than to pay lawyers exorbitant fees, so it’s a vicious circle, with the lawyers always winning!

February 4, 2017
5:26 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Probably, we have different mentalities, which is normal, as we live in different cultural areas. Here, in Europe this type of cases aren`t very frequent, generally companies or authorities sue each other, in order to solve flaws remarked by individuals

Anyhow, this trial would be a long one, I don`t see any company in this world to be so eager to pay serious money at the first appeal in the court

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019