Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Do you automatically update your apps | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Do you automatically update your apps
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
April 29, 2014
3:29 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I auto update myapps on wifi only, i have friends that rarely ever update their applications and I have some that update as much as they can – whats your pattern you an updater or do you hold off ?

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

April 29, 2014
6:57 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38

For me, my apps tend to update automatically now, so it saves me having to check for new updates and manually authorise the update. I had a few apps in the past that didn’t automatically update, and I’d get a notification to say that there’s a newer versions of the app. Following that, I just decided to enable the automatic updates.

April 30, 2014
12:05 am
Krisstoffer
Earth
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 398

The only time I have to manually click the update app button these days is when the app required new permissions or im updating cyanogenmod otherwise like yourself .. im pro auto update but only over wiifi.

http://www.joolo.net - better than this hole for mobile devices.

April 30, 2014
5:26 pm
Ste Crook
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 54

I tend to just use the automatic updates, makes life easier, and I get unlimited internet so usage isnt a problem

May 2, 2014
3:25 pm
Paul B
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 130

I turned my auto update off.  I mentioned earlier I’m having some problems with my phone screen coming on all by itself all of the time.  I was thinking that could have been one of the reasons.

July 5, 2014
10:46 pm
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 66

I have mine turned on but it doesn’t seem to work consistently.

July 13, 2014
2:33 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I prefer to choose what I want to be updated

For example, I don`t use that much Facebook, so I don`t need to update it monthly, since the update will occupy in an useless way my storage

July 21, 2014
1:35 pm
Aditya1809
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 42

Never opt for automatic updates for your applications. As you do not require your every app to be updated. I only update the app by seeing what are the fixes or what changes have come for my application. If they will enhance the features so i update them.

August 2, 2014
2:26 pm
Ruchi Jain
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 27

Automatic updates uselessly eat up your memory and processing speed.. I do choose among that needs to be updated…includes ones that i use consistently.

Number of times we are prompted to update an app and actually you are not using it actively..So its better not to update them

August 3, 2014
12:28 pm
swappy007
Delhi
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 62
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Updating apps without wasting Data is what i believe in. 

I always update apps whenever, I have my higher speed data over in an unlimited pack. Otherwise i prefer to update whenever i am in a wifi zone (read free Wifi Zone) 😉 

However critical updates of important apps, i update no matter what. So in this way i get the best usage of my data without compromising much on app experience. 

August 6, 2014
7:04 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

swappy007 said
Updating apps without wasting Data is what i believe in. 

I always update apps whenever, I have my higher speed data over in an unlimited pack. Otherwise i prefer to update whenever i am in a wifi zone (read free Wifi Zone) 😉 

However critical updates of important apps, i update no matter what. So in this way i get the best usage of my data without compromising much on app experience. 

I`m not very comfortable with the idea of updating via public Wifi, I would prefer to do it at home

Despite virtual spions, maybe the internet signal would fail and the update won`t be performed, so I simply wasted time for nothing, while at home internet connection is constant

August 29, 2014
10:57 am
tfive14
Members
Forum Posts: 9
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I definitely agree that auto updates lends itself to updates apps with ridiculous access requirements without your knowledge. I always use my wifi at home to update and read through the update requirements. Though sometimes something needs something because of the way its written for a particular feature, you can always read through the requirements and ensure it says it will not utilize access unless that particular feature is activated. Just a thought.

August 31, 2014
4:40 am
D Warner
Bronze
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 47
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s a disgusting matter to me. Though good for my smartphone but I prefer to update my apps when I got unlimited data which I can’t finish.
All of us should update regularly as updating apps we can get last added option of any application.
I don’t do it regularly for fear of my valuable data!Kiss

September 1, 2014
2:14 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

tfive14 said
I definitely agree that auto updates lends itself to updates apps with ridiculous access requirements without your knowledge. I always use my wifi at home to update and read through the update requirements. Though sometimes something needs something because of the way its written for a particular feature, you can always read through the requirements and ensure it says it will not utilize access unless that particular feature is activated. Just a thought.

These are the rules of the game, too bad developpers take as granted our freedom to reject any update

I remember I kept using the old Gtalk, denying and disabling the update (Google found a way to switch, without my express permission), but in the end I gave up that app, since Viber and Line are more attractive. The circle of unwanted updates ended for Hangouts, but it`s open for annoying updates of these apps

September 19, 2014
12:21 pm
23and14and20
Silver
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 421
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

yup. both my phone and ipad are auto update. saves me time and effort.

September 22, 2014
5:01 pm
rgd2014
UK
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 78
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do automatically update the apps, but only if connected to the wifi. What I hate though is sometimes I’m using the app and then it will close because it’s updating. 

November 5, 2014
4:34 pm
Talla
Silver
Members

Premium Member
Forum Posts: 166
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like everyone here, I too automatically updates my apps, only if connected to the Wi-Fi. And I’m not planning to ever manually update them, even though some people recommend it.

November 6, 2014
2:45 am
joreto
Members
Forum Posts: 1
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

I update all, but now I have a problem with viberCry

May 18, 2015
6:25 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

I generally update almost all of my apps automatically. There are a few occasions when I decide not to update them and it’s usually when I use an app a lot and I don’t want a certain change that the developers added. Updates are often however a great thing and provide more compatibility and sometimes performance enhancements.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019