Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Pre-paid Cell phones in the USA | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics United_States_of_America
Pre-paid Cell phones in the USA
let's discuss the various pre-paid cell phone options in the US
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
May 15, 2014
11:01 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I live in Wyoming, a large state with a very small population. In fact the entire population of Wyoming could move to Colorado’s capital city, Denver, and they’d probably never notice the increase!

All of the cities are scattered, with Cheyenne – the capital – in the right hand corner of the state, and all of the interesting locations – the large towns known for winter skiing – in the north.

So cellphone service in remote areas is kind of spotty.

Having said that, I’ve got a Tracphone that has served me well.

They’ve recently upgraded their offerings to include smart phones…I haven’t switched yet but am about to.

May 15, 2014
3:31 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

I thought I’d add a bit more about pre-paid, no contact cell phone plans here in the US.

I’m with Tracphone, as I mentioned before.

I noticed when I went in to my local Walmart to pick up another 90-day, 60 minute card that they’ve changed the look of their cards – they used to be green and are now white… that’s because they appear to have given in to a company called StraightTalk which also has green day/minute cards!

StraightTalk also appears to be $5 or so cheaper… but…at the moment I’m happy with TracPhone, and I don’t really like companies that try to trick people into buying the wrong thing by mimiciking their colors or logos or things of that nature!

May 24, 2014
2:59 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

Once you will switch to a smartphone, you will never want to go backKiss

I was wondering since the cities are scattered, does the telecom infrastructure behaves well? I mean when you call, it`s always a constant call or sometimes the signal is off?

May 24, 2014
6:00 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

Costin said

I was wondering since the cities are scattered, does the telecom infrastructure behaves well? I mean when you call, it`s always a constant call or sometimes the signal is off?

I’d say that 90% of the country is covered. The US is so large, and some places in our western states are very remote, but most of the time it is always possible to get a signal.

May 25, 2014
1:23 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

thethunderchild said

Costin said

I’d say that 90% of the country is covered. The US is so large, and some places in our western states are very remote, but most of the time it is always possible to get a signal.

I see itLaugh My country isn`t that large, it`s a medium-sized European state, but its center is mostly covered by mountains, the famous Carpathians that Prince Charles promoted, so signal up there is quite an impossible mission. In the other areas, 4G is perfect and constantLaugh

June 8, 2014
3:31 pm
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 66

This is an interesting topic to me because I’ve been thinking about getting an extra line and just going the pre-paid route for this phone. Do they make any high end pre-paid phones?

July 7, 2014
8:37 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

GeronimoJoe said
This is an interesting topic to me because I’ve been thinking about getting an extra line and just going the pre-paid route for this phone. Do they make any high end pre-paid phones?

Hi, Joe

Yes, there are very high-end pre-paid phones.

As I mentioned earlier, Tracphone is bringing out a smart phone. I still haven’t gotten around to buying it, but I”m thinking of doing so.

I’ve got a Samsung ….can’t remember the name of it off hte top of my head 😉  but it’s great. The only problem is that if you have alarms set, they will go off even if you have the phone turned off. Which means if you’re at the theater, and you think you’re safe because the phone is turned off, you could be in for a rude awakening if you have a ring tone for your alarm that is quite loud!

July 9, 2014
8:57 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

For a tourist arriving for the first time in USA, with little knowledge of local market, what would you recommend as best prepaid solution?

I stayed for a while in America, benefiting of the educational program Work and travel and I had a terrible time to find something suitable, before leaving my country. When arrived there, I asked the manager of the restaurant I used to work for and he recommneded me a prepaid service from T-Mobile, as far as I remember

July 9, 2014
2:46 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

Costin said
For a tourist arriving for the first time in USA, with little knowledge of local market, what would you recommend as best prepaid solution?

I stayed for a while in America, benefiting of the educational program Work and travel and I had a terrible time to find something suitable, before leaving my country. When arrived there, I asked the manager of the restaurant I used to work for and he recommneded me a prepaid service from T-Mobile, as far as I remember

I use Tracphone, but GreatCall is $5 cheaper per month for minutes, and uses the same networks so there’s no loss in coverage.  If I didn’t already have so many minutes carried over on my Tracphone, I’d consider changing!

The following users say thank you to thethunderchild for this useful post:

Costin
July 10, 2014
2:28 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

thethunderchild said

Costin said

I use Tracphone, but GreatCall is $5 cheaper per month for minutes, and uses the same networks so there’s no loss in coverage.  If I didn’t already have so many minutes carried over on my Tracphone, I’d consider changing!

Thanks!

I will have it in mind, if I get to USA once again. Although I prefer old Europe, here even telecommunication solutions are cheap and generous as offerLaugh

April 1, 2015
10:48 am
Vincom
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 50
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

You should change to smart phone.

By the way, why didn’t you use AT&T or Verizon ? Tracphone sounds quiet strange to me…

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Foysal Kader
Upcoming Chanakaf, nikamillone

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019