Share & grow the world's knowledge!

Contribute to Cleartalking and share your expertise
Check out the services we offer for both users and businesses.

Promote technology products and services in many different ways with the growing community!
Submit a ticket to get help with using our services.

Difference between Smart phones and tablets | Telecom Consumer Discussion Forums

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics United_States_of_America
Difference between Smart phones and tablets
dueling handheld devices - smartphones versus tablets
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
May 24, 2014
6:04 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 148
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have a Galaxy Note 8, which is essentially an over-sized smartphone. When I check out a website, it always re-directs me to a mobile website – which is what should happen on Smart phones.

I’m still working to get the Skype working on it, then I’ll be all set.

The following users say thank you to thethunderchild for this useful post:

FastEfficient
May 25, 2014
3:38 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 38

I have a tablet, which I use as a laptop, pretty much.

When I surf the internet and click on links, I’m often asked if I’d like to go to the “mobile” version of the site. I think this usually happens because the site detects that I’m accessing it through an Android device, and so it presumes I’m using a phone to browse.

I prefer using my tablet over any smartphone. The larger screen is a lot more comfortable for me, and I’ve got What’s app and Viber downloaded on to my tablet, rather than on my phone!

May 25, 2014
1:17 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

FastEfficient said
I prefer using my tablet over any smartphone. The larger screen is a lot more comfortable for me, and I’ve got What’s app and Viber downloaded on to my tablet, rather than on my phone!

I totally agree! Phone screens – even iPhone screens, are just too small.

Tablets are the way to go!

FastEfficient
May 26, 2014
5:59 am
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

thethunderchild said

FastEfficient said

I totally agree! Phone screens – even iPhone screens, are just too small.

Tablets are the way to go!

I definitely agree with you there.

I currently have a Samsung mini, but I don’t use the internet on it and literally only use it to receive and make calls. For me, my tablet is much more important and I use it a lot more than my phone.

May 28, 2014
4:38 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 1019

I think that smartphone will tend to get bigger, in order to remove tablets from the market, which might be realistic, if we consider that manufacturers as Samsung develop both products. So, one dies, the other ones evolves

Leaving behind this scenario, I usually search for smartphone with bigger screen, like my current HTC, based on a 5-inch display. I own a tablet too, but the smartphone is closer to me, so I use it for checking emails more than I do on my tablet

The following users say thank you to Costin for this useful post:

FastEfficient
May 29, 2014
8:45 pm
FastEfficient
Bronze
Members

I think you could be right, Costin.

More and more people are preferring slim phones with larger screens. The Samsung Galaxy note series are already an in-between, which have proven to be rather successful.

May 30, 2014
12:28 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members

FastEfficient said
More and more people are preferring slim phones with larger screens. The Samsung Galaxy note series are already an in-between, which have proven to be rather successful.

Yes, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Note series takes over the market, just because of their larger screens.

FastEfficient
June 2, 2014
7:43 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge

thethunderchild said

FastEfficient said

Yes, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Note series takes over the market, just because of their larger screens.

HTC also tried the magic with One series, Max version being my favorite. I simply can read anything, without squeezing my eyesLaugh

I`m betting that Sony will enter the game of bigger displays. Honestly, it would be a shame for Z series not to become larger

June 8, 2014
3:24 pm
GeronimoJoe
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 66

I wanted an ipad since the first day it launched. We finally got one last September. I have barely used it. With the Note 3 having such a large screen it is just more convenient to use my smart phone.

July 10, 2014
9:24 am
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

GeronimoJoe said
I wanted an ipad since the first day it launched. We finally got one last September. I have barely used it. With the Note 3 having such a large screen it is just more convenient to use my smart phone.

I also have an iPad. I use it for a few things, but you’re right. It all comes down to convenience.

July 10, 2014
2:41 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

I preffered to invest my money in Nexus and luckily for me, I use it efficiently for work and entertainment

When it comes for Apple`s products, I simply consider them too expensive for their performance, so I direct towards Android-based gadgets

April 1, 2015
11:02 am
Vincom
Bronze
Members
Forum Posts: 50
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phones are just for communicating. Tablets are almost replace your laptop. They are different in their function and structure.

April 9, 2015
5:50 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phones are just for communicating. Tablets are almost replace your laptop. They are different in their function and structure.

I would say that the bound has become quite fine these days, due to phablet`s ascending

For example, on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 you can do almost the same things you do on a tablet, the only difference is that the display isn`t that comfortable

The idea of hybrid is extremely attractive, practically you have a smartphone and a tablet in one placeWink

June 9, 2015
2:59 pm
Cellnut
Silver
Members
Forum Posts: 192
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

The primary difference is the larger screen size on a tablet, a secondary difference is that not all tablets support cellular networks. It’s far easier to read documents and edit documents on a tablet compared to a smart phone. I enjoy using tablets for reading purposes and for shopping, playing games and using other graphical apps on tablets. That being said a smart phone is still a very good tool for communicating, and you can do almost everything on a smart phone that you can on a tablet, it’s just not as easy.

July 1, 2015
10:49 am
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

The primary difference is the larger screen size on a tablet, a secondary difference is that not all tablets support cellular networks. It’s far easier to read documents and edit documents on a tablet compared to a smart phone. I enjoy using tablets for reading purposes and for shopping, playing games and using other graphical apps on tablets. That being said a smart phone is still a very good tool for communicating, and you can do almost everything on a smart phone that you can on a tablet, it’s just not as easy.

Since you can use a chatting app to perform calls, supporting cellular network isn`t that mandatory criterion while choosing a tablet. I think it counts more, if its display is bigger and more vivid than other brands, if you can store more personal content and if you can stream/play in improved quality videos or games

December 23, 2016
6:27 pm
thethunderchild
Cheyenne, WY
Silver
Members
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Costin said

Since you can use a chatting app to perform calls, supporting cellular network isn`t that mandatory criterion while choosing a tablet. I think it counts more, if its display is bigger and more vivid than other brands, if you can store more personal content and if you can stream/play in improved quality videos or games  

Statistics show that more and more people are using their smartphones – and wireless-connected tablets – as their main computer.

This is pretty said, actually. Tomorrow’s generation won’t know the power that used to be had in a desktop computer…

December 24, 2016
3:17 pm
ladybug8
Members

ByPassPostChallenge
Forum Posts: 5
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

The way I see it:

Smartphone advantages:

• Fits in my pocket / hand
  • Not awkward to make calls with

Tablet advantages:

• Easier to see what you’re doing
  • Some sites can be used fully as opposed to mobile sites

Unfortunately, I have found a lot of the sites I use still aren’t fully functional on a tablet, which would be nice to continue working on projects when I’m not at my actual computer. Microsoft Word is not fully functional when used with OneDrive, and Canva only works partially.

December 28, 2016
12:45 pm
Costin
Platinum
Members

Premium Member

ByPassPostChallenge
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

thethunderchild said

Statistics show that more and more people are using their smartphones – and wireless-connected tablets – as their main computer.

This is pretty said, actually. Tomorrow’s generation won’t know the power that used to be had in a desktop computer…  

Right to the point: my nephews aged 5 and 7 look at my notebook, as if it was an alien object and ask for the tablet to play games. If I were to show them a desktop, probably they would say it`s a big brick

I am not saying it`s a good evolution, especially for young people, but it`s a constant trend. I support the idea of tablets directed towards children with eye protection and numerous educational apps

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 1255

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters:

Costin: 1019